LaTeX Font-consistent EPS R Plots Using tikzexternalize

We are about to submit a final camera-ready version of a manuscript and they sent us this email the other day reminding us, among other things, to “adhere to the prescribed [ACM] format as set out in paragraph 2.3.10 [1]”… In a nutshell, they want all figures in EPS format. Now I am very particular about font-consistency when integrating plots within TeX documents, and so I spent most of last night trying to figure this out. I eventually decided to leverage a somewhat widely used technique–‘tikzexternalize’. I found this [2] thread on StackExchange really helpful. Continue reading “LaTeX Font-consistent EPS R Plots Using tikzexternalize”

[R Scripts] Visualising Likert Scale Responses Using likert

I am working with a data set from a survey, carried out as part of a user experience study, and recently got into an interesting discussion with my supervisor regarding data visualization. We touched on a couple of important issues–when to graphically represent information, types of visualizations… He suggested I look into using diverging stacked bar plots. Continue reading “[R Scripts] Visualising Likert Scale Responses Using likert”

[R-scripts] ggplot2 Plot Collection on Github

Seeing as VERY few individuals will ever get to read my MSc dissertation [1], I have been thinking of other ways I can potentially scrap off bits of useful information from it. I have created a git repository [2], where I will dump all R generated plots. Hopefully, someone out there will find these R code snippets useful. Continue reading “[R-scripts] ggplot2 Plot Collection on Github”

[MySQL-errors] ERROR 1005 (HY000) at line 28: Can’t create table ‘X’ (errno: 150)

Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this one out. It turns out, InnoDB wants an index created on a referenced field. It turns out, the error was as a result of a non-indexed referenced field–title_etd in this case. Continue reading “[MySQL-errors] ERROR 1005 (HY000) at line 28: Can’t create table ‘X’ (errno: 150)”

[R-scripts] ggplot2 Kiviat Plot Using coord_polar Function

I ran out of time a couple of months ago and decided to use the following quick hack to generatea Kiviat plot using ggplot2’s coord_polar function. Continue reading “[R-scripts] ggplot2 Kiviat Plot Using coord_polar Function”