Historical Regional Voting Pattern in Past Zambia Presidential Elections

Wanting to do something ‘worthwhile’ while procrastinating—no pun intended, I dug into the past six—1991, 1996, 2001, 2006, 2008 and 2011—Zambian presidential election results [1], collated the data and then mapped regional (district-level) results, just as I did in for the 2011 results [2]. I thought it was funny that back in 1991,  Kenneth Kaunda ONLY had majority votes in Eastern Province.

(more…)

Mapping the Zambia 2011 Elections Results Using Google Fusion Tables

I have been playing around with Shapefiles [1] these last couple of weeks. So I got the most recently available Zambia GDM Shapefiles [2], made a few modifications to take into account Muchinga Province and new districts, and subsequently merged the DBF file with the 2011 presidential elections results [3]. While I have been exclusively using R packages like maptools [4], I spent the last few minutes working with Google Fusion Tables [5] and came up with the interactive map below. (more…)

Visualising the Zambia 2011 Presidential Election Results

I have spent the last couple of weeks sieving through Zambia census data, as part of a personal project I am working on. With the looming presidential by-election, I decided to extend this analysis to include election results since democracy was re-introduced in 1991. I have spent the last few days compiling this information and will dedicate the next few posts to visualising this data—I hope someone out there finds this useful. (more…)

Public Rant – STOP Creating PDF Documents With Empty Metadata Fields

Creating PDF documents with empty metadata fields is bad form… if you are one one of those perpetuating this vile practice, PLEASE STOP IT!. First off, there is a very good reason why those PDF document metadata fields are there—for the most part, it helps search engines like ‘The Google’ to appropriately index and structure your document [1, 2]; in addition though, that meta information provides potential users of your documents the chance to quickly get a sense of what the document is about. (more…)

LaTeX Font-consistent EPS R Plots Using tikzexternalize

We are about to submit a final camera-ready version of a manuscript and they sent us this email the other day reminding us, among other things, to “adhere to the prescribed [ACM] format as set out in paragraph 2.3.10 [1]”… In a nutshell, they want all figures in EPS format. Now I am very particular about font-consistency when integrating plots within TeX documents, and so I spent most of last night trying to figure this out. I eventually decided to leverage a somewhat widely used technique–‘tikzexternalize’. I found this [2] thread on StackExchange really helpful. (more…)